Thursday, September 16, 2010

Indian Camp - Ernest Hemingway

Response:
 Overall I think that this story flowed pretty well, but at the same time I thought that it was pretty random.
I think that it was a pretty easy read. One thing I didn't particularly like about this story is that it isn't as interesting in a descriptive type of way that I like, for example, "They came round a bend and a dog came out barking" - I think to make the story more interesting it would have been better if he said it with more description. Otherwise, I think the story had a different kind of approach to it and I think that it was interesting and pretty different than anything I have read before.


Setting:
 One thing that was kind of cool about this is the author sort of left it open for the reader to decide where and when this took place. All we know is that it took place in some sort of Indian village across an ocean or sea from where Nick, his father, and Uncle George were all from. A reader would probably guess that this took place a while ago due to the fact that there were still native Indian tribes and they were basically left in peace for what we know. 


Voice:
 The voice in this story was rather consistent throughout. One thing I noticed in this story was he would never come straight out with information about a character, for example, instead of saying Nick was ____ years old, Ernest Hemingway showed that through the syntax and way he made his father speak to Nick in the story. It is pretty different than something I have previously read because he will leave things that the reader has to think about, but it also wasn't a very complex read either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment